Saturday, 13 April 2013

For the first time this year, I stared at a blank screen and didn't know what to write. Well, I guess I could start off with a bit of World of Tanks updates...

This weekend, Wargaming.net is commemorating their second anniversary with double credit weekend for all tier 5 tanks, a day of free premium, along with five times the exp for the first victory of the day. Sounds pretty good, no? So I took advantage of this yesterday (SNOW DAY IN APRIL YAY) and got myself a new T6 tank (the, conveniently named, M6 tank). It's essentially the same thing as my T1 Heavy, just with more upgrades. They are exactly the same thing. As in the armour is the same, engines the same, armament the same, etc. So why did I spend a million credits on this thing? Because it leads to the bigger American heavies.

Great, now that I'm done writing that, I've forgotten what else to write. Maybe I should go with some cadet stuff...

Some time within the past five years of my cadet career, I slowly realized the level of education the average level one cadet receives. Now, since I'm in IB and I'm Asian, I could be a little biased in terms of standards. The rest of this story/rant could just be that prejudice coming in, and these standards could be passable for others. I remember during my first year of being a cadet, but this post is not about the experience itself; rather the intelligence of level ones.

There was a kid who always arrived in the baggiest sweater and pants you could buy (something tells me he's wearing XXL or something of the like), with his pants literally dragging on the floor (well, not really. But it's really damn close to the floor). He spends a quarter of his time talking back to the officers and sergeants, a quarter of the time wheeling the chicks in level one, and the last half smoking in the boy's washroom. Keep in mind that the average level one cadet was twelve or thirteen years old (with the exception of Echo... He's an exception, but that's another story). This kid was no exception, so one does wonder why this level one cadet is smoking in the boy's washroom. He's hardly a teenager.

Ok so that was just the first example. Throughout my cadet career, I've seen numerous dudes bear marching. Girls not so much (female intelligence superiority? Nawww...) What is bear marching, you say? It's when you walk, but you swing your arms with the same foot that you step with. Instead of alternating your step with your arm (e.g. stepping in with left foot, swinging right arm), you step with the same arm (e.g. stepping with left foot, swinging with left foot). Try it. It's unnatural. Walking is one of the fundamentals of mobility, and yet there are cadets who do drill every week, but cannot walk properly. I've sometimes attributed it to the stress of "doing it right", but these kids concentrate too hard. It's walking. Not a level four math question.

And then there are the kids that turn the wrong way when told to turn. Again, I often attribute this to stress (I once did it... BUT ONLY ONCE). But then the same kids keep doing the same thing, which is what gets me every time. You tell them "turn right when I tell you to do a right turn", and they do so for the first couple times. The moment you trick them (e.g. "left TURN! By the left quick MARCH! HALT! advance right TURN") they fall over.

Note: those two examples were probably not based on intelligence; rather coordination between the senses. Here's one that's unexplainable: the inability to write a letter with the correct punctuation, spelling, and grammar. I'm not talking Pulitzer-level letterwriting; rather more informal letters, like those to your grandparents. It's quite common for me to see at least one of those three errors on a random level one's (Actually, forget level one. Let's go with ALL cadet levels) piece of writing. These aren't complex errors either. It's not something excusable like "recieve" or "color"... Well maybe not color, but still. No, these errors are along the lines of "exporiance"or something that I'd expect from an 8 year old.

Alright, rant's over. Partially because I'm playing WOT again. Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment