Saturday, 20 April 2013

A funny thing happened the other day...

I was writing up one of my Physics Labs, when some cadet started talking to me.
Young cadet: "Sgt. Liu?"
Me: "Yes, my child?"
Young cadet: "Do you have two girlfriends?"
Me: "No" (I continued typing. And then I start thinking about what he just said. Da fuq?)
And then I freeze mid-equation. I give the cadet a frown.
Me: "What do you mean by that?"
Young cadet: "One of your facebook pictures has you with two girls."
He was, of course, referring to that pic of Alpha-1 and Alpha-2 at one of our performances, where I photobombed their portrait.
Me: "That doesn't necessarily mean that they're my girlfriends. And having more than just one is wrong. Totally wrong."
Young cadet: "Ok"

And that got me thinking. Beyond the fact that he found one of my pictures from grade 9, this entire conversation was probably one of the weirdest I've ever had. Even with Howard. But that one thing lingered in my head: Is it wrong to have more than one girlfriend, if the two are totally alright with it?

Starting off, I would like to say that I have no experience with relationships. All my wisdom is derived from the experiences my friends had, along with my (limited) understanding of the inner workings of a juvenile. In mainstream western society, polygamy is outlawed. Now, I know there is a difference between marriage and courtship, and I'm not mistaking one for the other. We do, however, often base our relationships on the basis of someone we want to spend the rest of our lives with. Should I keep using the word "we"? Meh. Let's go on.

If we base our judgement of our mates with the notion of spending the rest of our lives with said mate, does the courting of two separate mates count as polygamy?

To be fair, those two mates are not bound to you financially and legally, by law (as per the definition of "dating".) So technically, you're just cheating on both partners, but they both know you're cheating on them and they're totally fine with it. That means all parties are not fully committed to the relation, thus it's not really a serious relationship. The system of the three partners is probably that for sex, and sex-related sex topics only.

It's been a while since I last thought about this topic (I started writing this on Wednesday night). So imma drop it. Also, I don't have wheels. Good day to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment